Step # 2 – Configure Internet Connection Sharing
To use Internet Connection Sharing to share your Internet connection, the host computer must have one network adapter
that is configured to connect to the Internet.
To enable Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Network Connections.
2. Click the local area network (LAN) connection , the one that connects to the Internet), and then under Network Tasks, click Change settings of this connection.
3. On the Advanced tab, click to select the Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection check box.
4. If you want to permit other network users to enable or to disable the shared Internet connection, click to select the Allow other network users to control or disable the shared Internet connection check box.
5. Click OK. You receive the following message:
When Internet Connection Sharing is enabled, your LAN adapter will be set to use IP address 192.168.0.1. Your computer may lose connectivity with other computers on
your network. If these other computers have static IP addresses, it is a good idea to set them to obtain their IP addresses automatically. Are you sure you want to enable Internet
6. Click Yes
Note that to enable Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP, you must have administrative rights.
For more information, click How to configure Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP which provides Video demo of the above activity.
Enabling ICS on Windows 7
1. Open Network Connections by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, clicking Network and Sharing Center, and then clicking Manage network connections.
2. Right-click the connection that you want to share, and then click Properties.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
3. Click the Sharing tab, and then select the Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection check box.
The Sharing tab will not be available if you have only one network connection. For the same, you’ll have to install Microsoft Loopback Adapter if you have only one network card installed on the PC.
4. If desired, you can also select the Allow other network users to control or disable the shared Internet connection check box.
5. Optionally, to allow other network users to use services running on your network, click Settings and select the services you want to allow.
When you enable ICS, your local area network (LAN) connection gets a new static IP address and configuration, so you’ll need to reestablish any TCP/IP connections between your host computer and the other network computers.